Geneve

My family have, sadly, never been much to travel. Sure, we went on holiday as little nippers and my Dad has done some top notch globe trotting as of recent years (reluctantly no daughter in tow, 24 and rowdy isn't his idea of a blissful travel buddy), but getaway dabbling just hasn't been their bag. But by heck has it always been an aim of mine.

Financial constraints have always been a drag and I only got my first passport for a Dubai dabble in 2013, but i'm finally in a comfortable enough place to start cupping Europe in my hands. Hence an upcoming getaway with my best beau to Geneva in Switzerland. Whilst we go in less than a month and barely have a whiff of what to get up to, I thought i'd plot at least a small part of our three day venture, which has by some barmy fashion, been left up to me. Here's hoping that some of these Swiss-tips help both our trip and anyone else going to the city!





















(Photo: http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/sites/law.unsw.edu.au/files/events/images/body/geneva_picturesque.jpg)

The Old Town
From all the travel blogs I've been reading, it looks to be a heralded fact that no journey to Geneva should be complete without a dally around The Old Town. With over 2000 years of history under its belt and some of the best in cafes, museums and dust-laden dens, the Vielle Ville is home to some of Geneva's most prominent. Yeah, like we'd miss that hodge podge of culture. From the infamous once Catholic Cathedrale St-Pierre, with its excavated basement and a wander up the spire boasting some of the best views of the city, to the MAMCO, I'm so excited to just walk and take it all in. Museums, architecture and all. Three Old Town aspirations for our trip:


Cycling
I hope my travel buddy doesn't catch wind of this blog, because she wont be best pleased to find out that I plan on hiking her up on two wheels for a small portion of our trip. Geneva is actually sterling when it comes to cycling, not just because a spin around Lake Geneve looks set to boast some beautiful views of the city, but there are so many free hire bikes to nab. Four free hours courtesy from mid April courtesy of the Geneve Roule Association? Saddle me up. (note to Alex, complain enough and it's a tandem for your moaning sins)
















(Photo: http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/en/useful-information/how-to-get-around/by-bicycle/)

Schtroumpfs
The weird and the wonderful, the off-kilter and the down right unnecessary. Most things that I like fit into that general bracket. And whilst Geneva isn't renowned for being unusual, more so for being picturesque and cosmopolitan, rumour has it that there's one plot of architecture that could catch our eye. The Schtroumpfs. French for The Smurfs, this residential plot is said to boast some of the most unusual exteriors in Geneva. Thirty years old, and looking to host mardy blend of Gaudi inspired textures and bubblegum fun, I'm definitely going to make bee-line for these apartments, just shy of the main train station.




















(Photo: http://www.monnuage.fr/photos/point-d-interet/94398/412174)

Fondue
By Zeus' trident, if we haven't had a traditional Swiss fondue experience before we leave Geneva, then I owe you money EasyJet for wasting your precious time. Renowned for their melting pot of fondue restaurants and cheesy fare, it's only right that we stick a slab on the stove and dunk fresh bread into it. Hoping to find us a traditional plot for fondue, if we go for some, it should be the old fashioned way, so far the Auberge De Saviese is coming up trumps with its gingham tablecloths, wood bare walls and fondue specialities. (And, an amazing five minute walking distance from our hotel)

So I guess that's the majority of Geneva activities that three days will hopefully bring us. I've mentioned her already, but here's the lovely lil' lady coming with me. Note her lack of intermittent poses, and blissful couldn't give-a-damn-ness. Perfect travel buddy considering I plan to run her around the city ragged. Excited? Doesn't quite cut it.



No comments:

Post a Comment