How To Seduce Sm-ART People

I really don't class myself an artist. And I definitely don't class myself an artist because I once took self-made sugar paint to a car bonnet and claimed it the representation of landslides. (Totally lickable and interactive might I add). But I do class myself as someone that loves art.

Living away from London used to make a trip to any exhibition comparable the scaling of a skyscraper made of butter, but now being so close to some of the most amazing galleries in the UK, it's hard not to tuck in to that lard-like mass. And if there's anything i'm good at in this life, it's dragging unwilling chums to each and every one. You're all very welcome.

























Brent Wadden's wool and yarn: Somewhat Scandi loud and proud.

If there's anything to catch in London right now, it's a gander at the Saatchi. The Saatchi is one of those places that seems to have a never ending cycle of awesome, and it just so happens to be one of the only galleries in London where you're allowed to take photos. Avid Instagrammer? Can I get a kerching?

Two exhibitions to catch right now have to be Brent Madden's geometric weaves and Pangaea: New Art from Africa and Latin America. Both completely different, I think these are my favourite works at the Saatchi yet. While Brent Madden's work is bold yet humble, and deliciously handy weave work at that, pieces such as 'Casa Tomada' by Rafael Gomezbarros (pictured below) were dauntless and down right skin crawling. They're really amazing pieces to catch, and perfect for a 10am Saturday morning stroll. I promise you'll get the gallery practically to yourself.
























This Thumbelina inspired scaling doesn't even compare to actual size of the Gomezbarros piece. Those with a creepy crawly disposition better scarper.

I apologise in advance for the fact that this piece may be closed before I can barely recommend it (August 31st by my Google based guess-timate), but it's definitely a lady to look out for in the next coming months. Not incomparable to the infamous 'Knit Bomber', Lucy Sparrow has turned a seemingly derelict cornershop in Columbia Road into a fibre filled shop of felt. No really, all felt. Felt beans, felt newspapers, felt boxes of Ritz, felt bags of M&M's, and an entire felt till. No product has been spared a felt-ing up.

Not only has she turned your daily hunt for a packet of Polo's in to a playground, she's taken to 4000 different items to complete it. For her dedication alone, you outta invest in something sharpish. Who knows what Lucy Sparrow will take to next, but if this London's biggest introduction to her yet, it's definitely exciting to see what else felt can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment